I will admit, my “job” has its perks! I had the great honor of chatting with Melissa Bachman in her home earlier in August. If you don’t know Melissa, you need to as she’s one of the nicest people in the industry and is SINCERELY interested in talking with you – no matter if she’s been on her feet for 8 hours at a trade show or tired from sitting in the blind all day. We chat about her upcoming hunts, including one with her Grandma! And how her production/editing background was key in helping her succeed in outdoor TV. But the bottom line is this – you want to be like Melissa? You better commit to two things – plan to be gone from your house for more than 300 days a year and plan on working harder than you have ever worked before. If you can’t do either of those things, you will not be successful in outdoor TV. I truly believe it is that black and white.
Watch Melissa on “Winchester Deadly Passion” airing on Sportsman Channel Sundays at 11:30 a.m. ET.
- Pork Chop is the scene stealer in this show, you might hear her trying to grab out attention and trying to lick the microphone I was using.
- Melissa is super excited to pick up her Range Master Trailer in Valentine, Nebraska, talk to Dusty.
- Melissa didn’t want to show ALL of her mounts in her house, but trust me when I say there is NO WALL SPACE for anything else in her house – and she has vaulted ceilings. So from ‘bou to whitetail to moose to gators to zebras, she has it all. And yet some of it is in storage. Crazy!
- And you must watch the video of Melissa falling off the round bale and spooking this monster buck. To. Die. For. And can we just talk for a second on how Melissa is absolutely not concerned with sharing this video? Learning moment, people.
- Read this blog post from Melissa about her Grandpa’s 30-30 Winchester gun Melissa took on a recent hunt.
- I reference a past podcast of “how to start your own outdoor TV show” that is a great listen.
Thanks for listening!!